Monday, October 05, 2009

Mosaic Monday/ Best In Show

16 x 20x 2
© Rebecca Collins

I am reposting my own mosaic work today in order to share some exciting news. My Beetle mosaic from last month recently took best in show at the members show for the Dallas Creative Arts Center. The exhibit is an eclectic mix of painting, mosaics, and 3-d projects. The show is called "Unleashed" and is at the Mary Thomas Studio Gallery. It will run until October 17th, and there will be a closing reception on the 17th 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
1080 Bldg. at 1110 Dragon Street
Dallas Texas 75207.

I was really honored just to be included in the show, and when I saw a ribbon next to my piece my jaw really hit the floor. I feel really validated with this award. My mosaic work and style is sort of untraditional among mosaic artists. I am really more of a mixed media artist using my computer, collage elements (created in photoshop) and glass to create works that I feared could be seen as too crafty for the fine art world and too mixed media-ish for the fine craft mosaic word. With this recognition I have decided it is time to put those worries to rest and just keep playing.

You can see more of my mosaic work over at rebeccacollins.com

6 comments:

krwebb said...

Congratulations, Rebecca!
It is a beautiful piece. I wish I leaved near, so that I could come see the show.
I think your mosaics are fantastic,
Karla

Margaret Almon said...

This mosaic is very cool! Before I started making mosaics, I did collages with magazine paper, and your mosaics seem like the best of both those world. And I'm glad you plan to keep playing!
Margaret

Manon said...

Way to go Rebecca!!
It's a fantastic piece!!

Christine Throckmorton said...

Congratulations, girl! That's fantastic! I have often had the same internal conversation about where mosaic belongs in the art/craft world, or maybe where it is *perceived* to belong. I love the idea of just not worrying about it and to just CREATE. Go you! I'm still planning my next mosaic in my head. It's been too long since I made one...

Christine Brallier said...

Congrats again, Rebecca! Such wonderful recognition. :-)

artpaw said...

Thanks everyone!