Saturday, September 29, 2007

Selling Art On the Internet

A lot of my local artist pals are in awe of my ability to run a successful on-line art business. These same pals are doing good if they check their e-mail once a day. I get occasional calls from very talented portrait artists that are new to the web and wanting some coaching. Today I offer one piece of advice ... buy something right now on-line from an artist you like. If you are not buying art on-line why do you think anyone else would. If you are not a savvy on-line art buyer, how do you expect to be a savvy seller? Sure you can study your competition to see what they are up to and how they do things, but there is nothing quite like purchasing from another artist to learn about e-commerce. Even if you have a bad buying experience, it will teach you something. I have been very lucky to deal with only first-rate sellers this summer.

To show that I practice what I preach I will share some of my summer finds. Check out my cool purchases ... I own these goodies!
My most recent purchase is this stunning octopus collage by Jodie Hurt. It was shipped with some colorful mini-business cards that were 1/2 the size of standard cards.

Below is a fun little toy from artist Jeff Soto. We also have a couple of his prints and a limited edition book by him. Jeff seems to always include free stickers with his shipments.

No comments: