Friday, May 23, 2008

Color Quotes


Today I offer up a few favorite quotes about color from the masters. The first and the last really sum up my own passion for color.

“Color possesses me. I don't have to pursue it. It will pursue me always, I know it.”

Paul Klee
Swiss Expressionist Painter, 1879-1940




“I am crazy about two colors: carmine and cobalt. Cobalt is a divine color and there is nothing so beautiful for creating atmosphere. Carmine is as warm and lively as wine... the same with emerald green.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Dutch Post-Impressionist Painter, 1853-1890




“The painter of the future will be a colorist in a way no one has been before.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Dutch Post-Impressionist Painter, 1853-1890


“A thimbleful of red is redder than a bucketful.”
Henri Matisse
French Fauvist Painter and Sculptor, 1869-1954



“I never met a color I didn't like.”
Dale Chihuly
American Glassmaker, b. 1941



Tomorrow I will post a resource list for color fans.

No comments: