Monday, July 20, 2009

Mosaic Monday / More Bugs


This weekend I went to Kittrell Riffkind and spent a small fortune on iridescent glass. I am working on a new series of bugs. The small beetle plaques below are going to be part of a larger project. They will be mounted on to larger boards that will be layered with collage text and glass. The yummy iridescent glass is not photographing all that well. I will not grout the backgrounds on my bugs until I decide on the overall look of the frame panel boards.

When I first started working in mosaics I thought the iridescent glass was sort of cheesy. It is pretty and everything, but it was a bit too disco-ish for me. Now that I am working on bugs I realize that there are plenty of places in nature where iridescent color is quite natural. Bugs, fish and bird feathers all tend to have an iridescent sheen.

Green beetle to far right is still in progress.



Last week I was very fortunate to be featured on the terrific blog of Mosaic artist Kim Grant.  You can check out Kim's portfolio on her main site.  Or visit her blog to read her interview with yours truly.

3 comments:

Manon said...

I think the iridescent glass is perfect for you bugs!! Love what you're doing Rebecca!

Archie and Melissa said...

hi rebecca!
your bugs are amazing! i love seeing all of your work!
i am off to read your interview! congratulations!

xoxoxoxo
m

artpaw said...

Thanks Manon & Melissa!