Friday, December 27, 2013

My Word for 2014- Choice

This year I am going to pick a word to live into and that word is choice.

choice:

noun \ˈchis\
: the act of choosing : the act of picking or deciding between two or more possibilities
: the opportunity or power to choose between two or more possibilities : the opportunity or power to make a decision
: a range of things that can be chosen

 As women when we hear the word choice it is often charged with political overtones, but choice is not just about our bodies, it is about our lives. If I could teach my nieces one thing in life it would be to choose, and know when you are making a choice and when you are just letting life come at you full force like a fire hose. You can not choose anything when you are in a constant state of reaction to the drama of others. Choose your friends, choose your lovers and choose your life. 

Over the years I have struggled to make a living, I have struggled to find love and I have struggled like everyone on else on the planet to be happy.  The times in my life when I was the most unhappy were not due to bad choices, they were due to making no choices at all. 

As an artist in 2014:
I will not be afraid of making bad choices.
I will choose new materials and new techniques for my work.
I will not let the marketplace dictate all of the choices I make concerning my art, maybe some but not all.
I will choose other artists to learn from that inspire me.
I will choose to create art that challenges me.

I  think I have gotten lazy in life and have allowed myself to fall into a bit of a rut. The past few years have been all about finding a balance as I juggle my commercial work with my personal work. I have found my balance really, and I know that at the end of the day the more I do the more I can do. My time here is finite and moving forward I really do need to think about my choices. 

No comments: