Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mr. Brittney Portrait Progress

Well it has been over a week since we started on Mr. Brittney and pals. I am going to be finalizing some proofs for this handsome kitty today. Check out the sample below. It has a rough pastel filter applied over the smushy wacom layers. I took the layer opacity down on the filter layer and then painted on top with my digital paint brush set to dissolve. The dissolve effect made my additional paint sort of chalky in texture to match the artwork's new texture. I am having fun today as I finalize my last 3 orders from late March.

Side Note On Production Times: I would say that at least 75% of our clients are usually on some sort of crazy rushed deadline for gift giving. That is ok and we are more than happy to move through projects as quickly as possible without sacrificing quality. On the other hand, some clients that order for themselves make it clear that they are not in a hurry and they tell us to take our time. When that happens I usually save their work for a calm unhurried day where I can play and have fun. Because these portraits may take longer these clients often get working sketches before their actual proofs. In this case I discovered with my working sketch that I needed to darken this kitty's coat a little. The client gave other good suggestions such as rotating the kitty a wee bit. When I feel unhurried on a pet portrait project I am more likely to play around and experiment.

If you are considering a portrait I would encourage you to encourage us to take our time. It basically insures that I will not be working on your project when I have the flu or some other sort of issue going on that drains creativity.

No comments: