Friday, June 11, 2010

Getting Way Outside My Comfort Zone

I am currently attending an exciting workshop by mosaic artist Emma Biggs. When I first contemplated taking this workshop I asked myself why do you want to take this class? The workshop has required that I give up 3 business days, and the cost for the class was significant. Initially I just wanted to take it because, well, this lady is practically a celebrity in mosaic circles and I thought  "wow, a chance to learn from and meet a very important figure in contemporary mosaics". Then I realized that being "star struck"  might be a rather silly reason to take a class. So then I thought about the actual subject matter " Mosaic and Pattern: Meaning, Complexity & Repetition". Yuck, I totally could not relate to repetition and pattern. My own mosaic work is a crazy loose mess of paint, glass and digital collage. What on earth would I want to do with pattern? The more I thought about it the more uncomfortable I got. Then I asked my teacher Katrina Doran what she thought ... should I take the class?  I told her it sounded very hard and I voiced my concerns also letting her know that yea, maybe, just maybe I do need to get outside my comfort zone. Katrina is an artist that is always eager to tread into unfamiliar waters herself and she likes nothing more than to see her students dive fearlessly into new territory so of course she encouraged me to take the workshop. Then she tells me she is taking the class. Then I hear my Mother ...  "well, Rebecca if all of your friends decide to jump off a cliff will you jump off a cliff?" So yes here I am,  jumping off a cliff with a few friends and Ms. Emma Biggs is leading us.  More to come ...

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

Your words make me laugh, Rebecca! Good for you for stepping outside your comfort zone!