Thursday, June 01, 2006

Worker Bee or Fly?


The found image above is either a bee or a fly. I am not sure which. The pointed abdomen makes me want to bet on it being a bee. I really like the simplicity of this design and the aged quality of the background pattern. In this digital work I combined an unaltered line art image with one of my existing background patterns. I changed the hue on the ornate pattern and enlarged just the section I needed to create a very symmetrical and simple composition.

If you are interested in learning about a wide variety of animals and finding fun web links take a stroll over to our other blog at Cool Animal Pages. My assistant Allison is having a blast this summer researching different critters and finding fun facts along with unusual links to a wide variety of animals. She is doing a fantastic job with an unusual assortment of web related projects this summer.

3 comments:

My Pugs Blogger said...

Hi Rebecca,

I was visiting your artpaw site yesterday and I really love yuor work. Would you mind if I added a link on my blog? Please come check us out!

artpaw said...

Yes, feel free to link to any part of our site. You might want to check out http://pug-pictures.com also. That is another site we maintain. I will add a link to your blog in our links section at that site.

Unknown said...

Just because nobody else has pointed it out:
that's a fly.

2 wings = fly.

The little nubs [like a circle on the end of a stick] just underneath the wings are vestigial wings. They spin around and around really fast and help the fly to know which way is up. They act as super-cool gyroscopes, enabling precision aerobatic manoeuvres. .