Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Kara Dog Art


Anyone that follows my blog has heard me whine on occasion about the low resolution grainy pics that clients send us sometimes. Every now and then we have the opposite problem ... too many fantastic photographs to choose from. Kara's Mom sent us over 20 different very very good photos to choose from. Sometimes this can be sort of a scary trap because several times when this has happened I have spent hours pouring through photos, carefully analyzing in order to determine which would work best. Then I created the artwork only to discover later that the client really had a favorite photo among the ones sent that she really wanted us to use. These days I try hard to avoid that trap by really communicating well before I start why I chose the photo I did and I also give the client an opportunity to trump my decision if they have a favorite in mind. Kara's Mom was actually a breeze to work with and her favorite proof was the top sample.

About The Art:
I rotated Kara slightly in the frame to give her a playful expression. The client requested that I change the bandanna color as pink was a favorite for Kara. The proofs above have colorful highlighting around Kara, and I also proofed her with a more subdued coat option. I loved her eyes in this portrait and their intensity is one reason I chose this photograph to work with. I also loved the fun negative space her ear creates to the left. When you think about composition the negative space is just as important as the space your subject occupies.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Maybe you can have Kara mind-meld with other customers in the future. These are gorgeous!

Gail Burton said...

I know I've said this already, but I absolutely love your art! I really should play with my wacom more, lol.

Hugs
Gail x

Manon said...

Kara is so pretty! Too many great proofs to choose from! I'd definitely have a hard decision choosing!