Saturday, August 23, 2008

Animal Artists Beware

I know a handful of other animal artists follow this blog and this post is for you. We have all heard about the rampant copyright infringement that happens over at Ebay, but it really stings when it happens to you. Check out this crook's ebay shop and make sure they are not selling your work:
http://stores.ebay.com/Online-Paintings

They have 3 listings for one of my Boston Terrier dogs. There is also a cat listing that looks very familiar. I am not sure who the cat artwork belongs to, but I have seen the work before.

I have reported them to ebay through an on-line form. We will be calling them on Monday to make sure those listings are pulled asap.

3 comments:

Rowdy and Bette said...

How do they sell them as original paintings? Looks like a real painting. Do they copy your print and then computer generate the brush strokes, or how does it work? Sorry to hear this.

artpaw said...

Thanks guys. Joey & Maggie, yep, there are sweat shops in other countries that hire people to do this. I think they often start with digital prints on canvas and then just paint over them sloppily with oil.
From what I have read on-line the best I can hope for is to have ebay pull the listings. I doubt that they will penalize the seller in any way. If they do not pull the listings I suppose we could open a lawsuit with ebay. It would be pretty hard to work out a lawsuit against a seller in another country , but who knows.

Parisbreakfasts said...

Just horrible.
They look like the chinese art factories that were on Etsy but got pulled.
But Ebay has not the same attitude towards protecting it's sellers IMO.