Friday, April 24, 2009

My Space Themed Mosaic

"Blast Off" 12 x 12



Blast off baby! This is a piece I did in a tempered glass workshop last weekend. I still need to work on framing and deal with some jagged edges, but it is almost done. I used vintage space stamps, and threw on a lot of glitter, the rocket was found in an old 1950's astronomy book for kids. The book was a lot of fun and talked about "when" we go to the moon some day. I put a lot of gold flake around the fire part and ended up painting over the rocket & glitter a bit for definition. I am not 100% thrilled with my composition ( too heavy on the right) , but that is ok since I have a better plan in mind for my 2nd space themed mosaic. Special thanks to my teacher Katrina for her help and continued support.

6 comments:

Manon said...

Great job Rebecca! I love the added space stamps!!

Free Rein Art Studio said...

Love your space themed mosaic! Very cool!

Gail Burton said...

WOW! I love all your art, but this is very different and it's fab!!

Gail x

Archie and Melissa said...

hi rebecca!
oh i love it! your mosaics are amazing!

Anonymous said...

A BEAUTIFUL PIECE.. you should be THRILLED.. the tempered glass is very cool.. I love this style of mosaic and hope to see more. Oh, and Glory's photos's were on my desktop and they either got trashed or are somewhere I can't locate but still searching...

Anonymous said...

I do love the way tempered glass allows you to use other elements underneath and the black grout is fantastic with all the crazed lines of the TG.

Love the colors and THEME of this one. You should def try to keep at your mosaicing. I'm a big fan of this one!