Monday, February 25, 2013

Mosaic Monday / Threads of Inspiration

Nick Cave
http://amoa-arthouse.org
Last weekend I traveled to Austin for a workshop on art marketing ( will post more on that later), and I was so delighted to discover the work of performance artist Nick Cave. This artist creates what he calls "sound suits" out of a wide variety of materials from twigs, buttons, and hair to sequins. The suits make different noises when worn. When he made his first suit he really did not even know that he would be using them in performance. Of course the suits we saw were not moving, but they looked as though they might come to life at any moment. His technical execution is without flaw. I suppose if you had to try and label these by medium and technique you might want to say that Cave is working in fiber arts, however as a mosaic artist they look like "fiber mosaics" to me. I guess sometimes the three letter word "art" is really enough.


I asked, and no photos inside ... so of course we had to shoot a couple through the glass.The show closed on the 24th so we felt very lucky to have stumbled on to it.

..........................................
If this is not enough mosaic inspiration for you then head over to Mosaic Art Now  and check out the Dolce & Gabbana Winter 2014 "Tailored Mosaic" collection. Nancie has written a great post with video on some pretty amazing fashions. 


mosaicartnow.com

6 comments:

Nancie Mills Pipgras said...

Totally jealous of your Cave experience, Rebecca. Have you heard about the event coming up in Grand Central? He's doing horses. Thanks for the MAN mention. I'm still just gobsmacked by the Dolce & Gabbana collection. Cheers!

Flea said...

Oh WOW. Extremely cool. I love the basket replacements for heads. All I could think was, "I could make that basket." The outfit in the ad is way cool.

artpaw said...

Nancie, wow I hope if he dresses live horses that they do not spook easily. Or will it be people dancing in horse suits? I will google it, sounds fun.

Thanks for stopping by Flea:)

artpaw said...

oh cool ... i found the horses:
http://hyperallergic.com/63748/nick-cave-to-fill-grand-central-with-a-herd-of-soundsuit-horses/

John@dog grooming said...

The first picture freaks me out but when I look at the concept, it tells me that fashion, freaky or not is an art. I'm glad to have a review on this one.

David Jones said...

I've reviewed your every single blog post..and it was awesome..will be back to read this blog soon. :)