Monday, February 17, 2014

Mosaic Monday / Flower Workshop

On Saturday I took a terrific workshop at the Dallas Creative Arts Center from Katrina Doran called Petite Fleurs: Bejeweled Mosaic Flowers.
I had so much fun and it was just the jump start I needed to get my hands busy with mosaic again.  I added screws and washers to my flower making it a wee bit mechanical looking. I hope to eventually place it in the hand of a large 3-d mosaic Robot that I am working on.

We worked with a 2 part epoxy clay that dries rock hard and so there was no wet thinset, no grout ... and no stress.  We worked largely with beads and jewels so there was very little cutting involved.  If you think you might be interested in taking Katrina's next Petite Fleur workshop it is offered in May at the Dallas Arboretum.  Katrina can also be hired to work with your own private group in your residential or commercial setting, you can contact her through her website Doranstudiomosaics.com.

We made our flower forms from scratch.
Flower Mosaic
Rebecca Collins
Flower Backside
Rebecca Collins
Flower Mosaic
work in progress
Rebecca Collins
Flower Substrate
work in progress
Rebecca Morgan

Flower Mosaic
work in progress
Rebecca Morgan

Flower Mosaic
work in progress
Peggy Breedlove
Flower Mosaic
work in progress
Peggy Breedlove

Back in 2010 Katrina worked with several of her students creating very large flower mosaics for the Texas State Fair and this workshop is her brain child that sprung out of that experience. She creates petite, medium and large flower sculptures and she is working on a book that will outline the process so she can share her knowledge with more mosaic artists.  Each of the 3 different sized flowers are created with different armature techniques that she engineered herself and each has a different level of difficulty. I would love to do a medium sized flower next. I never thought I would want to tackle a huge flower but after doing a small one who knows, maybe my confidence on the 3-D work will bloom some day.


No comments: