Tuesday, February 20, 2007

"Chirp" Digital Bird Painting



This is titled "Chirp" and it is a personal piece created for fun. I really need to print today, and get some portraits finalized. Here I am playing with birds & berries. This was created from 2 stock photos in Photoshop with a Wacom tablet. The berries are from a Pyracantha plant, although somewhat enlarged. Heck they almost look like ripe tomatoes. This tiny song bird would have a tummy ache if he ate too many of these red berries. I love old bird books and in the past I have used birds in many personal works. I find they have a very symbolic and powerful place in art. I have never kept birds as pets and honestly my deep respect for them borders on fear. In my living room I have a huge original Audubon print of a fierce snow owl. The piece originally belonged to my grandfather and it was one of his favorite pieces and always hung proudly in his living room. The owl print still scares the hell out of me but I also love it.

Oh and I should also credit Linda O'Neill as an inspiration for "Chirp". She has a way with fruit. Her recent painting of red grapes was on my mind as I tried to make my berries look soft and painted. In the end I think my berry paint strokes were a little harsher and fail to glow in a true O'Neill fashion ... but I am still very happy with the piece.

2 comments:

Linda O'Neill said...

You are too kind, Miss Rebecca...thanks so much. I don't know what it is about fruit...but I keep getting drawn to it. I think I'm obsessed!

LOVE this painting...beautiful work!

Sheila Finkelstein said...

And, you should be "very happy" with it, Becca. It's rich, beautiful and engaging. I love it!

Are you offering for sale anywhere as a print?

With love and appreciation,
Sheila
SheilaFinkelstein.com