Monday, February 18, 2008

Pet Portrait Technique Photoshop


Today's post is a digital tip for my fellow artists and all those photoshop addicts out there.
In reviewing the two images above you might assume that I started out working with the image on the right, creating a tame and traditional pup with natural coloring. The reality is that the image on the right was totally created from the artwork on the left. All of the paint strokes and smudges were slowly added in bold living color with the wacom tablet. Then when all was said and done, I took the original untouched photographic layer that was buried way beneath all of my other work layers and placed it on top of the work, then I went into layer effects and told it to be a color layer and boom, all of my pretty color highlighting was gone, but none of the groovy paint texture disappeared. It is a quick and easy way to tone down color. I happen to like a lot of color though so I am going to post a larger detail of Eddy below.

Pet Portrait artists can find more process & tips on my blog by clicking here and scrolling down the page.

3 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

Hi Rebecca!
I love both portraits! I would have to have them both!
:) melissa

Anonymous said...

Hello!

What a great site you have! I really enjoy seeing other artists that love working with dogs as much as I do.

I photograph dogs, and have most of my work on my site at www.slobberspace.com. Feel free to stop by, I'd love to hear what you think.

Anna Kuperberg

Jill Beninato said...

Rebecca,
Thanks for the tip...I have never thought of trying that! Thanks for sharing...