Thursday, December 20, 2007

How did we do it and who are we?

I do not know how we have filled the amount of custom portrait orders that we have filled this season. I do not even have an accurate count yet, however it feels like around 80 projects were worked on in the last 2 months alone. The past couple of weeks we have had to say no to quite a few folks wanting to order past the posted deadlines. I hate saying no to people, and yet if I don't then I can not do my best for everyone that ordered early and on time.

As an artist running an on-line web business I often find myself bouncing back and forth from wanting to look slick and professional like a huge commercial studio and the desire to also look small & home-grown. We are in reality very small ... and we do work out of our home-studio. We always do our very best to give every client 100% because we know how important their 4 -legged family members are to them.

Who are we? Well there is me ... I am Rebecca Collins and I work full time here at Art Paw usually 6 days a week 7 - 8 hours a day. This season it has been more like 7 days a week 12 hours a day. I can't complain too much about overtime as I do love my work.


Then 2nd in command is photographer, artist and web mistress Allison Crane. She works with me 3 days a week for 6 hours a day, and this season she has put in a bit of overtime. We also have photographer Dianne Sapra with us one day a week when her busy freelance schedule permits. Diane does terrific digital artwork.
Rebecca Swann is a talented metals artist and teacher that has been helping one day a week with stretching & shipping ( she is my best girlfriend and has always helped me in my business endeavors). Then last but never least is photographer Dan Collins, he is my husband and he also stretches canvas, troubleshoots tech issues, holds me up when I might fall, and in general keeps me sane. Art Paw is my baby and I am the senior artist, but I could never do the work I do without the support of all of the people mentioned here. I am fortunate to have a small but amazing group of people helping me. Each has their own separate art and their own artistic voice outside of work. Their unique talents and personalities help to make Art Paw what it is.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great homage! Yay Art Paw!!!

cowbelly said...

This is a really great post Rebecca. I think that the inside view, of an art business really helps to personalize it for a client. I think as a consumer I would always prefer to work with an actual human being than a company or corporation.

It makes the experience more intimate and therefore more rewarding.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Pochi Poronchi said...

hi there... :)
you really have done some wonderful art with pet and thank you for sharing it in your blog.

I've just started my pet blog at http://poronchi.blogspot.com and will try and paint pochi (the puppy) soon :D

Anyway... have a very merry christmas and being busy is good :) coz it makes leisure time more meaningful hehe.